Tuesday, May 15, 2012

5 Questions with Varun Agarwal



Before I plunge into the interviews I make some time to research on the author, book, subject etc. Even though I knew some of the answers to Varun Agarwal's interview, when I received his reply  it was like a fresh read. It's the one reason you should pick up the book - simplicity ! 

How I Braved Anu Aunty and Co-founded a Million Dollar Company is is the story of entrepreneurship in Young India. Of the courage, foolishness, and luck it takes to succeed. Surprising you with unexpected wisdom and flashes of brilliance





How I Braved Anu Aunty & Co-Founded A Million Dollar Company
by 

Varun Agarwal

Price: Rs. 140/-
After 10% Discount: Rs. 126/-




  1. What made you take the plunge into writing a book ?

    So I used to write a lot of blogs on my Facebook page about how we started our company Alma Mater. The way we started this company was nothing short of a Bollywood adventure. My blogs started getting very famous and I sent some of them to Rupa Publishers. So they loved the blogs and asked for a complete manuscript.
    That’s when the problem started. You see I had only written a few blogs until then and the most number of words I had ever jotted down was around 200-300. A manuscript needs 50,000- 60,000 words. So I was in real trouble.
    So I fell ill for a few days sometime last year and was totally bed-ridden I couldn’t work so I decided to give a shot at the manuscript. I was under some really crazy medicines which somehow kept me going. I was done exactly 8 days later with the finished manuscript (which I completely hated) with some 50,000 words. After making a few changes I sent it to Rupa and completely forgot   about it. A month later they sent me a mail saying I’m now an author.

  1. I've been following your Facebook page on the book and have seen a few covers. Tell us a little more about how and why you zeroed in on this book cover?
    Well so I got this awesome artist Alicia Souza to do the cover first . But Rupa only uses in-house designs for the cover. So they got their in-house team to get in touch with me and I gave them a rough brief of what I wanted . Thats how the cover was finally done and I'm really happy the way it turned out.

  2. Alma Mater has been chosen as one of the 25 most promising E-Commerce companies in India. How does it feel when you face a true 'Anu Aunty'?
    Not much has changed. Nobody gets this "E-Commerce" business. All the aunties think its a big scam. But I really dont care now.

  3. You are also the Co-founder for Reticular and founder for Last Minute films. How do you find the time for all three companies ?
    Well everything is somehow related to one another. I was a filmmaker before anything, thats how Last Minute Films happened. And once I started marketing Alma Mater on FB I realised the power of social media and thats how Reticular started. Though I have little time to make films now I just about manage.

  4. Lastly what should Anu Aunty expect to hear about you after this book ? 
    So she knows everything about the book and she's totally cool about it. I dont think anythings gonna impress her until I get my MBA and get a proper job :)

No comments:

Axis Books Map