Monday, May 7, 2012

5 Questions with ArtbyAarohi




In keeping with our new theme of an interview every week here's an interview with Aarohi Singh. Aarohi, better known by her blog ArtbyAarohi, is a versatile artist in terms of mediums, forms, styles and ideas. She's full of life and exuberance. She also happens to be one of our favorite customers at Axis Books.  Happy Reading !




1.Tell us about initial years.

I have a post- grad degree in History from Hindu College, Delhi University. I am a History major by education, an Information Architect by profession and an artist by passion.

2. Your versatility in terms of mediums is unmatched. You have explored all kinds of mediums from oils to pastels to water colors and on different kinds of surfaces; pots, furniture, accessories, canvas etc. What happens you hit a technical road block with a certain type of paint on a particular medium ?

  
    Singh is king kettle                   Painting on wardrobe      Acrylics on canvas (10×12 in)    

I do a lot of experimentation on things. I remember the first time I painted on a kettle, I had not primed the surface. Big Mistake! Everything could be scratched off with a finger nail. So I actually scraped the whole thing off and started again.
Often times, I do a lot of reading online and through books to see what will work or not. I also tell people what the limitations are in various supports and materials. For example- ink, watercolor, sketch pen (no matter how good the quality) will fade over time if it is placed in direct sunlight or even in an area that receives a strong reflection of that harsh light. The same way, oils and acrylics will crack with time. There are of course ways and means to maintain the art that one buys. But that is a whole different topic 


3. What can your audience expect after the theyyam piece and the pooch collection ?

  

The Poonchh Collection is an ongoing project. I hope to have another exhibition to support the cause later this year. But, currently I am working on an ArtByAarohi line in my trademark style with which I hope to introduce newer 'products' that are derivative of my art. Along with the art itself of course.

4. The video of the theyyam piece displays a huge shelf of books. What are you reading presently?

Most of the books that are in that bookshelf pertain to art. Most of my learning has been through these books. I buy books which feature not just technical information but works of people whose style or color sense I admire. I find myself spending hours trying to break down that one thing that appeals to me in a work and why. On a lighter note, I am currently devouring a bunch of romantic novels  and listening to some great music. I am revisiting the music I heard growing up at home.

5. What is the one idea you are itching to explore as an artist ?

Ever since I did the Theyyam and Kathakali canvases, I am itching to do huge faces on canvas... really large. 



Here are a few books that will keep the inspiration going long after you read this blog




A Treatise On Painting
by : Leonardo Da Vinci , John Francis Rigaud
Price: Rs. 528.34 
After 10% Discount: Rs. 475/-











Decorating Furniture: Texture, Paint, Ornament And Mosaic Projects
by : Sheila Mcgraw

http://axisbooks.in/product.html?productKey=9781552976180

Price: Rs.700/-
After 10% Discount: Rs. 630/-








All About Techniques In Acrylics: An Indispensable Manual For Artists
by : Parramon's Editorial Team
http://axisbooks.in/product.html?productKey=9780764157103
Price: 1592.47/-
After 10% Discount: Rs.1433/-



No comments:

Axis Books Map